|27 February 1763 at Torry Burn, Fife, Scotland.|
|14 August 1846 at Baulkham Hills, NSW.|
|15 August 1846 St. John's Cemetery, Parramatta, NSW.|
|Mary Harley (1766-1835) 25 July 1787 in St Cuthbert's Midlothian, Scotland.|
|Robert Smith (1788-1851)|
|Mary Smith (1790-1861)|
|John Smith jnr (1793-1854)|
|James Smith (1795-1851)|
|Peter Smith (1799-1800)|
|Frances Smith (1802-1868)|
|William Smith (1805-1880)|
|Andrew Smith (1806-1846)|
|Carpenter; farrier; farmer.|
John Smith of Edinburgh, was recruited (along with Andrew McDougall and John Bowman) by NSW Governor King after an interview in London in 1797. They were carpenters who were to build a corn mill in Parramatta to help with the colony’s food supply. The three families’ passage was arranged by the Duke of Portland on the Barwell, a Thames-built (1782) East Indiaman of 796 tons, reputed to be a fast sailer. On this her maiden voyage to New South Wales, under Capt. John Cameron, she carried 296 male convicts of whom 9 died en route. There had also been an attempted mutiny or two, subsequently hushed up.
The three families arrived in Sydney on 18 May 1798 where a change of governor had resulted in the corn mill not being built. All were granted land in the Baulkham Hills district. Smith took up his grant
Torryburnon 12 November 1799. The three familes remained friends and their children intermarried.
It is believed that the Smith family chose their surname because of persecution by the English. Various ealier names have been quoted: Cameron, Campbell, Murray, MacFarlane.
The borders of Smith’s property were marked by the creek crossing on Windsor Road between Palace Road and Roxborough Park Road, and St Michael’s Church. His house stood approximately where St James Avenue meets Palace Road and was known as Torry Burn , after his birth place. (Torry Burn Reserve was named for the Smith Family.)