|27 February 1763 at Torry Burn, Fife, Scotland.|
|14 August 1846 at Baulkham Hills, NSW.||
|15 August 1846 St. John's Cemetery, Parramatta, NSW.|
|Mary Harley (1766-1835) 25 July 1787 in St Cuthbert's Midlothian, Scotland.|
|Robert Smith (1788-1851)|
|Mary Smith (1790-1861)|
|John Smith jnr (1793-1854)|
|James Smith (1795-1851)|
|Peter Smith (1799-1800)|
|Frances Smith (1802-1868)|
|William Smith (1805-1880)|
|Andrew Smith (1806-1846)|
Carpenter; farrier; farmer.
John Smith of Edinburgh, was recruited (along with Andrew McDougall and John Bowman) by NSW Governor King after an interview in London in 1797. They were carpenters who were to build a corn mill in Parramatta to help with the colony’s food supply. The three families’ passage was arranged by the Duke of Portland on the Barwell, a Thames-built (1782) East Indiaman of 796 tons, reputed to be a fast sailer. On this her maiden voyage to New South Wales, under Capt. John Cameron, she carried 296 male convicts of whom 9 died en route. There had also been an attempted mutiny or two, subsequently hushed up.
The three families arrived in Sydney on 18 May 1798 where a change of governor had resulted in the corn mill not being built. All were granted land in the Baulkham Hills district. Smith took up his grant
Torryburnon 12 November 1799. The three familes remained friends and their children intermarried.
It is believed that the Smith family chose their surname because of persecution by the English. Various ealier names have been quoted: Cameron, Campbell, Murray, MacFarlane.
The borders of Smith’s property were marked by the creek crossing on Windsor Road between Palace Road and Roxborough Park Road, and St Michael’s Church. His house stood approximately where St James Avenue meets Palace Road and was known as Torry Burn , after his birth place. (Torry Burn Reserve was named for the Smith Family.)
During 1802 he suffered the results of drought and short supply of food. A visit by Rev. Marsden observed their diet of barley cakes.
Like many of the Baulkham Hills settlers he spent time in prison for his opposition to the Macarthur/Johnston regime.
His holdings were enlarged by purchases and grants near Bathurst, Portland and in County Georgianna on the Campbell River near Rockley. His public duties were also increasing being asked to serve on the Grand Jury in 1827.
The Sydney Morning Herald recorded his death in their edition of 18th August, 1846 (which) stated that
it was with regret that he had passed away, as he was an old and well respected settler of Baulkham Hills. Along with his wife who predeceased him by eleven years, he was buried at St John's Cemetery, Parramatta.